Labor Day weekend for many families means one last outing at the lake. Army Corps of Engineers officials urge people to have fun, but be safe and courteous.
Twenty-two people have died from accidents in Little Rock District waters since October. They ranged in age from 1 to 73. No one is immune. Don’t be number 23. Follow these simple but crucial rules.
* Don’t drink alcohol if you plan to be in or on the water.
* Never rely on toys to stay afloat.
* Don’t take chances by overestimating your swimming skills.
* Swim only in designated areas.
* Never swim alone.
* Watch your children at all times.
* Diving into lakes and rivers can be dangerous. Paralyzing injuries or death too often result. If you do dive, first be sure there are no hidden underwater obstacles.
* Wear a life jacket, and don't drink alcohol and drive the boat.
* Use your kill switch.
* Follow the navigation rules of the road, buoys and other aids to navigation.
* Always post a sharp lookout.
* Carry a navigation chart and know your waterway.
* Before setting out, take a safe boating course.
* Check the weather forecast.
* File a float plan with a friend.
* Check your boat for required safety equipment and use it.
* Know your state boating laws.
8-29-18 7:55 a.m. kawx.org