Mena Fire Chief Steve Egger released the folllowing statement concerning a fire with fatality in Mena om Thursday, June 25th.
"MENA FIRE DEPARTMENT RESPONDS TO REPORT OF SMOKE COMING FROM A RESIDENCE
On Thursday June 25th, 2020 at 11:57 a.m. the Mena Fire Department was dispatched for a passerby reporting smoke showing from roof of a residence located at 1107 9th Street. Upon arrival at 12:02 firefighters forced entry to the structure, located a small fire confined to a bedroom then extinguished the flames and discovered the body of Leonid (Leo) Avram Yuspeh age 69 of the home. Mr. Yuspeh had died from smoke inhalation. The cause of the fire is believed to have been related to several appliances plugged into a multiplug extension cord.
The fire department responded with three apparatus and 16 personnel. Mena Police Department, Southwest EMS, and Polk County Coroner assisted. The fire department cleared the scene at 1:35p.m."
6-27-20 5:15 PM KAWX.ORG