The Polk County Quorum Court met Tuesday evening for their July session. The meeting was held in the Courtroom of the County Courthouse to allow for distancing between Justices of the Peace and others in attendance. All eleven Justices of the Peace were in attendance, as well as County Judge Brandon Ellison, County Clerk Terri Harrison, Sherif Scott Sawyer, Prosecuting Attorney Andy Riner, and several visitors.
An ordinance to appropriate to county accounts and make line item transfers and review of items deleted from the county inventory, as well as routine matters were quickly handled.
Shirley Manning representing the Polk County Genealogical Society presented a proposal to the Quorum Court that would involve the original Mena High School building, which later served for many years as the Polk County Library and eventually a day care, to be moved to the property where the current library is and developed into a museum for Polk County.
Built in 1898 for a school in Mena, this building served as the County Library from 1904 to 1970,
then as a residential duplex, and most recently as a daycare.
Manning told the JPs and other elected officials and visitors that the building was built in the late 1800s and has been moved three times, and that a recent inspection showed that it was in very good condition and moveable.
While there was a great deal of interest in the proposal from the Quorum Court and County Judge, since multiple entities would be involved the proposal, which would involve the County taking ownership of the building, was tabled until August to allow time for more information to be collected.
Most of the money for the restoration of the building would come from fundraisers and grants with the County, through the County Library Board, funding the maintenance, utilities and insurance.